Lakeland’s Central Florida location makes it an ideal place to live since so many amazing beaches, venues, sporting events and more can be enjoyed as day trips. You have all of the luxury and amenities available in the Lakeland community and can access even more with just a few hour’s drive. Here we present our favorite day trips:
There are many great beaches on both the Gulf and Atlantic side of the state, several less than a two hour drive from Lakeland. Our favorites are:
The Pier of Cocoa Beach
- Fort De Soto Park. Located in West Florida, this park brings to mind old Florida and includes 900 acres of bike trails, nature walks and beaches. The beaches are pristine and great for swimming, wading and shelling.
- Clearwater Beach. This Gulf Coast location offers beautiful white sand, clear blue water and amazing amenities. If you want to enjoy the beach but be within a short walk of restaurants and shops, this is a great choice.
- Cocoa Beach. Cocoa Beach, Florida is a small island in the Atlantic that offers 6 miles of beach access which includes three oceanfront parks with restrooms, showers and picnic tables. A 27-hole public golf course and public tennis courts as well as
many excellent dining options makes this a great day-trip get-away.
Professional and semi-professional sports are plaid in Central Florida nearly year-round. With so many major teams within a short drive from Lakeland, you can root for your favorite team in person.
- Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Playing at the Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, the Tampa Bay Rays bring major league baseball to your doorstep. The Tropicana Field is one of the most interesting venues in professional baseball and a day trip to watch the Rays play is well worth the hour long drive.
- Orlando Magic. Playing at the Amway Center in Orlando, this exciting professional basketball team will keep you on the edge of your seat and it’s only an hour drive from Lakeland.
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers. This NFL team shares the Raymond James Stadium with University of South Florida Bulls which means there is always a great game at this site during the season. Less than an hour from Lakeland, this is the perfect venue to enjoy football.
- Tampa Bay Lightning. Hockey at its finest is played in Tampa Bay, Florida. For northern transplants who miss the rough and tumble of hockey or those who just enjoy the sport, the Lightening are a great home town team. Playing at the Amelie Arena, you will drive only an hour to enjoy this team in action.
Amusement and Theme Parks:
Central Florida is known for its amusement parks but there are more here than you might realize. All less than a two hour drive from Lakeland, they give you and your family many choices for fun.
The Cheetah Hunt at Busch Gardens
- Home of Walt Disney World, Epcot, the Magic Kingdom and Universal Studios, this city is ground zero for great family fun. Sea World brings the undersea world to life and is great fun for the entire family. Discovery Cove offers rides and attractions and is a great choice for those who want something a little different.
- Busch Gardens combines amusements, shows and incredible gardens in one family-friendly location. Adventure Island is a water park that includes a wave pool and lazy river.
Besides Grasslands Country Club, Central Florida offers some of the greatest golfing experiences in the World. Here are a few close public golf courses that offer an exceptional challenge.
- Waldorf Astoria Golf Club. Located in Orlando, this award-winning 72 par course is enhanced by natural elements and includes a five-tee system to accommodate all levels of play.
- Sanctuary Ridge Golf Club. Considered a mountain course, this exceptional par 71 golf experience in Clermont, Florida is challenging and exciting. The course also offers “footgolf” that combines golf and soccer for a unique, fun experience for the entire family.
- Southern Dunes Golf and Country Club. Located in Haines City, Florida, this course’s greens were completely remodeled and reopened in September, 2016. Winner of numerous awards, this beautiful and challenging course offers exciting play in a beautiful setting.
Concert and Other Venues:
There are many great venues for enjoying music, shows, circuses and more in Central Florida. It is also home to an award-winning winery.
- Amway Center. Considered the best concert venue in Orlando, the Amway Center is a frequent stop for national tours. It also serves as host to many circus events and is home to the Orlando Magic and the Solar Bears Hockey Team.
- Amelie Arena. An excellent concert venue in Tampa, it is a frequent stop for many national tours. It hosts many circus and child-friendly events and is the home of the Tampa Lightening.
- Lakeridge Winery and Vineyards. Located just an hour and a half north of Lakeland, this winery offers complimentary Winery tours and wine tasting 7 days a week. This beautiful winery also hosts many festivals throughout the year and is well worth the drive.
Lakeland offers exceptional recreational, dining and entertainment venues but is also a short drive away from beaches, concerts, sporting events and more. These daytrips add exciting variety to an already amazing setting. Visit Lakeland and Grasslands to learn about all of the possibilities that await you and your family.